A couple of guidelines that make all the difference to living in a small space.
When you live in a small space, fitting in everything you need is difficult. So trying to fit everything in and making it look cute is an even bigger challenge. But that’s also what makes small space design so much fun. Whether you live in a studio apartment or want to get more out of a tiny room, these small space design ideas will make it feel so much larger.
1. Keep the floor, ceiling and doors neutral and the colour palette simple. Stick to two to three harmonising colours so that your room doesn’t end up looking too busy. Or choose a scheme like yellow and grey, and within that colour palette use an abstract pattern and a floral or paisley. Always use lots of white as a background especially if you are using very strong colour, and tone down a hectic pattern with white or neutral cushions.
2. Modular seating is the most versatile and a corner unit takes up less space than a conventional sofa and two chairs. Choose low furniture to create the impression of height and so it doesn’t obscure sightlines across the room.
3. Invest in an ottoman and use it as both seating and a coffee table. With the addition of a stylish tray, you can use it as a surface for drinks, candles and books.
4. Large pieces of art create an eye-catching focal point and look far better in a small space than lots of little pictures grouped together. The same goes for lamps and other accessories – choose big, bold designs rather than a lot of insignificant pieces.
5. Don’t neglect lighting. Table lamps, floor lamps and downlights bring a room to life. If you install a dimmer switch, you can change the mood to suit the occasion which makes a small space more versatile.
6. Keep rooms uncluttered – lots of storage space is essential. Make the most of every inch with storage baskets under beds, double rails in cupboards and floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. Keep them as shallow as possible – just the width of a book so they don’t encroach on living space.