A RARE AND PRECIOUS OPPORTUNITY TO INVEST IN CAPE TOWN’S HISTORIC HEERENGRACHT.
The Onyx – a dramatic repurposing of the iconic Nedbank Building – is a rare and precious opportunity to invest in the residential revival of Cape Town’s historic Heerengracht. These sophisticated, urbane and sexy apartments and penthouses are located in the cultural heart of Cape Town, just 10 minutes’ walk from the V&A Waterfront, and will offer residents a host of compelling lifestyle attractions within easy pedestrian reach.
Ranging in size from compact studios of 35 square metres to expansive penthouses with roof gardens and private pools at over 400 square metres, The Onyx offers purchasers a wide choice of sectional title real estate. But whatever suits your lifestyle and your pocket, as an owner – or a resident – you will enjoy access to a suite of services and amenities usually only offered in a luxury hotel.
These include an entertainment deck with an indoor / outdoor swimming pool, a gym, bar and day spa, a first-rate restaurant, valet parking, and a 24-hour concierge service. Other service offerings include housekeeping, laundry, room service, a free daily shuttle to the V&A Waterfront, and optional participation in a hotel-managed rental pool.
THE ONYX APARTMENTS: URBANE AND SOPHISTICATED LIVING SPACE
Herringbone floor finishes are an urbane and sophisticated offset to silver-grey walls and white super-matte joinery with black trims. The understated elegance of black powder-coated taps, mixers and accessories, set against classical white ceramic tiles, make for chrome-free and bling-free bathrooms that evoke the metropolitan atmosphere of central Manhattan apartments.
Original architectural features, such as high-volume coffered ceilings, are exposed and celebrated where appropriate. The original Miesian black-framed wrap-around strip windows are cleaned and serviced to make the most of the dramatic harbour and cityscape views. Air conditioning is standard.
- Sophisticated contemporary interior design
- Oak-finish parquet vinyl flooring in living areas & kitchens
- Smeg stainless steel oven, hob & extractor fans with optional upgrade
- Imported German kitchens with white super-matte finish and black aluminium detailing
- Energy-efficient LED downlighters and concealed LED strip lighting
- Fibre-optic cabling for hi-speed internet connectivity
- Centralised air conditioning throughout
- Centrally located hot water supply with heat pumps
- Black granite countertops
- Matte black electro-plated taps and mixers
- White resin integrated vanity & basin unit withduco’ed gloss black drawers
THE ONYX PENTHOUSES: SOMETIMES MORE IS MORE!
The top floor sports generous wraparound view terraces. But opting this time for a philosophy of ‘more is more’, the penthouses will each include additional private landscaped roof terraces with splash pools and panoramic views over the harbour, mountain and city.
Premium black super-matte joinery, ‘Armani Black’ engineered stone tops, grey mirror-glass splashbacks and environmentally-sustainableoak herringbone floors come as standard, whilst bathrooms feature standalone bathtubs and champagne rose-gold taps, mixers and accessories.
- Private rooftop terraces and splash pools with awesome city, sea and mountain views
- Solid timber plank decking outside and Oggie European Oak herringbone inside
- Custom-designed Smeg ‘Dolce Stil Novo’ black ovens with rose-gold detailing & 90cm glass hobs
- Built-in microwave, integrated dishwasher & integrated fridge/freezer combination
- Freestanding washing machine and tumble dryer in a dedicated utility cupboard
- Duco’ed matt black joinery to create a unique ‘Onyx Black’ look
- Gloss ‘Armani Black’ engineered stone with grey mirror-glass splashbacks
- Champagne finish rose-gold taps, mixers and accessories
HOTEL-STYLE LIVING IN THE CULTURAL HEART OF THE CITY
The Onyx will be managed by Newmark Hotels, Reserves and Lodges, a highly successful hotel management company that is distinguished by the outstanding boutique hospitality experiences it offers its guests.
With a heritage spanning 40 years, the company has become an industry leader and created a tradition of excellence with a portfolio of twelve boutique hotels and lodges throughout Southern Africa.
These include the Victoria and Alfred Hotel, Dock House Boutique Hotel and The Queen Victoria Hotel, all in the Waterfront, as well as the award-winning Drostdy Hotel in the historic town of Graaff-Reinet, which was also placed in TripAdvisor’s top 10 in the country.
Residents – whether owners or tenants – at The Onyx will have access to a suite of hotel services including:
• Housekeeping, dry cleaning, laundry & concierge services
• Room service from the restaurant on the ground floor
• Entertainment deck with indoor / outdoor pool, bar, gym and day spa
• Optional participation in a hotel-managed rental pool
• Charge Newmark hotel and dining services directly to your room
BREAKING OUT OF THE BLACK GLASS BOX: MODERNISM MODERNISED
The world’s first glass and steel skyscrapers were made real by international architect Mies van der Rohe with his iconic 1958 Seagrams Building in Manhattan, and his 1951 Lakeshore Drive Apartments in Chicago. Revolutionary in the simplicity of their facades, they stunningly embody Mies’ now universally accepted design axiom: ‘less is more.’
His black glass box signature became known as ‘The International Style’ and is a design meme that spread to sophisticated cities around the world, including Cape Town, where Nedbank’s elegant 1968 Foreshore head office is now being transformed into The Onyx. Fifty years on, this impressive edifice with its unbroken black glass curtain holds its own as a 20th century design landmark.
According to Robert Silke, the architect tasked with transforming this gleaming office block into a mixed-use building for residential and hospitality use, “The shallow floor plates and large expanses of glass make this A-grade corporate icon perfect for residential conversion.
“We’re going to intervene surgically in the façcade with futuristic and curvaceous aluminium balconies. In so doing, we’ll be animating the striking black onyx surfaces with luxurious, yacht-like terrace features in crisp white.”