How daunting, half a century. What have I achieved? It’s time to reflect on life and quantify whether enough has been done and achieved.
Ok, everyone below fifty, you can carry on reading this is for you too, because instead of saying oh s**t I have not done that when you turn 50, you can set up a bucket list of things you need before you reach fifty.
By no way Am I old, in fact I feel better now than I have in a long time.
When my dad was 50, I remember thinking he has one foot in the grave. He was here for another 36 yrs. Damn did he prove me wrong. So, I am working on that calendar, I have another 36yrs here and I am going to make them count.
I have created a list and by no means is it complete, of things every woman should have by 50. Please don’t judge me and feel free to start your own.
- A healthy credit history, not because you want to buy those things you now feel are a waste of time but rather because it’s your name and you want to be proud of it. If you have gone through s**t and we all have been there, at least be working on repairing it. None of us are perfect and it’s never too late to repair anything.
- Style, not a magazine’s style, not the latest fashion, but the way you carry yourself and confidence girl, confidence that makes you feel invincible.
- Talking invincible, lingerie, something that makes you feel sexy, something that you could feel beautiful in anywhere anytime at any moment.
- A healed scar on your heart, we all have them, trauma we survived, learnt a lesson from and carried on regardless. But now and then it still hurts. Carry it with pride.
- A past. One with love, pride and a little juice. Ok!!! enough juice that you could write a novel and people would pay to read it. Don’t be scared to live, we only get this one life, be the reason someone believes in magic, truth and authenticity. Be beautiful.
- A dream you still have that is so big it scares you.
- Be good conversation, listen, there is no bigger lesson to learn than to listen, without judgment. Without an agenda.
- Time to realise you are getting older and the pay cheques are getting less and less so you need to have money set up in an account so you can get old with grace.
- Good pair of pants that pulls everything up. A beauty therapist you trust, and nail technician that makes your hands look young. Eye cream. A Botox Dr, yes, it is out there and like the grey hair, you colour, you can inject those wrinkles away pull them straight and puff them up, so why the hell not.
- The knowledge you can live independently if you need to. That you are self-reliant, and you matter.
- The ability to travel. Travel makes you grow, it changes you. You need to do it just once. Step on a plane and just go, and just be.
- A person, your person, someone that knows just how to touch you to give you Goosebumps. One whose arm you can lie in and feel at home. A lover, husband, someone that will be there for you when your legs don’t work so well anymore, someone that makes your eyes smile. Someone you fall in love with every single day.
- Be brave, leave that job you hate, find your passion and be brave enough to know you’re able to do it. Love with every ounce of you, stand up for what you believe in and stop settling and apologizing. Know you are enough.
- A journal, one that makes you cringe, because the pages contain memories that brought you here and sculpted you into the person you are now, one that saw a marriage though, that brought up kids, that healed the holes in your heart and celebrated the success with you. Pages that show you survived life.
- A to-do lists. Not just because you cannot recall why you just walked into the kitchen, but it gives you purpose, and it should never be complete. Just add to it all the time and never stop growing, never stop doing, that’s when you start to age when you have nothing to do.
- One friend and by this time you have realised they come and go, but there is that one that is always there. The one you can call and cry with and laugh till your belly hurts. The one that celebrates being alive with you and is never hard work. Friendship should never be hard work ever. One you can be silly with.
- Purpose that’s tied to you and only you, not your kids and spouse, but its your reason and accomplishment in life and you own it.
- Music, a play list that lets you dance like no one is watching, its important.
- A secret that makes you smile
- The confidence to know you are a woman. Don’t ever loose sight of that little girl that ran in the rain and jumped in puddles, don’t lose sight of yourself in the chaos of life.
- Fight for her, keep her in play. Meet new people, travel the world, crave something real. Make magical memories in obscure places. Find that person who wants to know your past. Know that weird stuff is going to happen, stuff you have no control over, turn on that playlist, write it in your journal and don’t let life break you.
Be blessed with Love knowing you are real, wear your scars with pride. Know there is something poetic about your life. Accept it, own it and move forward. Listen to what your soul is trying to say She is wise, and She knows and accepts you. Above all be authentic to you.
Lots of love always
P.s Long arms or good bifocals also very important. (lol)